Turkey Ragu alla Bolognese and Risotto with Gourmet Spinach Mix
Turkey Ragu alla Bolognese beside or over Spinach Risotto. We took this recipe from the Italian Slow Cooker cookbook, made it even better with some Strawberry Tree Farms ingredients, including a Risotto that until now you could only dream about. Plus, cooking time in Dutch Oven 1 1/2 hours at 325 instead of 6 hours in slow cooker. Here is our version:
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 heaping tsp GoGo Garlic from Strawberry Tree Farms
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped(may substitute salt pork, bacon or ham)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes(any other kind need peeled, drained & chopped San Marzano do not)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- to taste - salt and ground pepper
- (optional 1/2 cup heavy cream - we did not use)
Directions:Do everything in the Dutch Oven
- melt the butter with the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, cook until tender, 20 min/give or take
- Stir in GoGo Garlic, pancetta, ground turkey, stir often until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, wine and broth, bring to simmer.
- Stir in San Marzano tomatoes, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, put in oven at 325 F and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until thick
- If you add in cream, cook for another 8-10 minutes.
To make Arborio Rice: Follow directions on package - will take about 20 minutes
In our case we used Wegman's. In pan bring 4 cups water to a boil. Inseparate pan put in 1 cup Arborio Rice. Add boiling water 1 cup at a time, stirring in until rice absorbs it, until you get consistency you want.
Then stir in 2 heaping capfuls of Strawberry Tree Farms Scrumptious Spinach Gourmet Seasoning Mix.
Optional - stir in 2 TBS of butter for extra creamy. We did not add the butted to what you see, still creamy and delicious.
Our Salad Dressing:
Berry Berry Vinaigrette - Mix and chill 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar, and 1 TBL of Berry Berry Strawberry. After chilled, it's excellent over salads. Try it. You'll be glad you did.